2021 Important Notices

2021 Important Notices

Group health plans and health insurance issuers generally may not, under Federal law, restrict benefits for any hospital length of stay in connection with childbirth for the mother or newborn child to less than 48 hours following a vaginal delivery, or less than 96 hours following a cesarean delivery.  However, Federal law generally does not prohibit the mother’s or newborn’s attending provider, after consulting with the mother, from discharging the mother or her newborn earlier than 48 hours (or 96 hours as applicable). The group health plan does not need to provide the minimum period of coverage for a maternity stay if the mother and health care provider agree to an earlier discharge.  A group health plan cannot require a Covered Person or her attending provider to get permission (sometimes called prior authorization or pre-certification) for a hospital admission that is shorter than 48 hours for a vaginal delivery or 96 hours for a C-section delivery.

Your medical plans, as required by the Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act include coverage for the following post-mastectomy services and supplies when provided in a manner determined in consultation between the attending physician and the patient: (1) reconstruction of the breast on which a mastectomy has been performed, (2) surgery and reconstruction of the other breast to produce symmetrical appearance, (3) breast prostheses, and (4) physical complications of all stages of mastectomy, including lymphedemas. Please refer to your plan document for more details.

Medicaid And The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) Offers Free Or Low-Cost Health Coverage To Children And Families Health Coverage To Children And Families
If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you are eligible for health coverage from your employer, your State may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage.  These States use funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs to help people who are eligible for these programs, but also have access to health insurance through their employer.  If you or your children are not eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you will not be eligible for these premium assistance programs.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, you can contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents  might be eligible for either of these programs,  you can contact  your State Medicaid or CHIP office or dial (877) KIDS NOW or www.insurekidsnow.gov to find out how to apply. If you qualify, you can ask the State if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

Once it is determined that you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must permit you to enroll in your employer plan if you are not already enrolled.  This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, you can contact the Department of Labor electronically at www.askebsa.dol.gov or by calling toll-free (866) 444- EBSA (3272).